“All rise! The Williamson County YMCA Teen Court is back in session!”
Returning and new students ages 13-18 will soon be invited to attend the Teen Court orientation on Saturday, August 20 for the 2022-2023 school year. Orientation will be held at the YMCA Twin Lakes facility under the supervision of Judge Edna Staudt, professional attorneys, law enforcement personnel, YMCA staff and parent advisers. Visit this page later in the summer 2022 more details, or, the Williamson County YMCA Teen Court home page for updates.
Students in the Teen Court program learn courtroom procedure first hand, as well as study and assume the roles of juror, jury foreman, bailiff, clerk, prosecuting attorney, defense attorney, and judge.
These young men and women preside over sentencing and adjudication of real Class C Misdemeanor cases involving juvenile defendants 11-17 years of age. This hands-on training in law, the justice system, and civil government equips students with critical knowledge and skills to be more effective, lifelong servant-leaders in their communities.
The highly-respected Williamson County YMCA Teen Court program is administered by Judge Edna Staudt, recipient of the prestigious 2018 Glenn Shepard Leadership Award.
Students participating in Teen Court gain valuable experience and insights in:
- courtroom roles
- courtroom procedure
- real-life application of justice and mercy
- state laws
- consequences of transgressing laws
- sentencing procedure
- public speaking
- critical thinking
Past speakers and presenters to Teen Court students include:
- Williamson County K9
- Crime Scene Investigation
- Supreme Court Justices
- Texas Rangers
- Volunteers from Texas Attorney General’s office
- George Washington portrayed by Mark Collins
Former Teen Court Volunteer Students: In their own words
- Teen Court and law enforcement makes positive impact on young leaders
- Passion for training student leaders
- Teen Court inspires military careers
- Courtroom as classroom
- A Heart for Community
- Mentor to young leaders
- Mentoring the next generation in judicial knowledge
- Equips teens for professional careers
Copyright © 2022 Don Stroud